Empretec is a flagship capacity-building programme of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) for the promotion of entrepreneurship and micro, small and medium sized enterprises (MSMEs) to facilitate sustainable development and inclusive growth.
Empretec’s core product is the Entrepreneurship Training Workshop (ETW), which aims to foster the motivation and self-confidence of participants who have chosen to start or expand their businesses. It is based on a behavioural approach, designed to unleash personal entrepreneurial potential. The methodology has proved to be effective for a vast range of target audiences in advanced and less developed economies. It works equally well for mature entrepreneurs and new entrants, opportunity and necessity entrepreneurs, participants with different levels of education. Tailor-made adaptations are made for vulnerable groups such as women, youth, retired people and participants with low literacy levels. The programme also promotes small supplier development, social and green entrepreneurship.
Empretec has a network of national Empretec centres established in 40 countries, which provides an opportunity for participants to explore international markets and establish cross border business links. The Enterprise Branch of the Division on Investment and Enterprise coordinates the programme from Geneva, Switzerland.
In the 30 years since its launch in 1988, Empretec has continuously demonstrated high impact positively affecting efficiency, sustainability and revenue generation of the participants’ businesses, resulting in their increased survival and growth rates, and the creation of new jobs.
For more information about Empretec, sub-programmes and events:
– Business linkages
– Empretec Women in Business Award
– Empretec Global Summit
Watch again the Empretec WBA 2020 ceremony
- Empretec YouTube – https://youtu.be/fRjDFqdJ36I
The Finalists of the Empretec Women in Business Awards 2020
UNCTAD is pleased to announce the 10 finalists of this year’s Empretec Women in Business Award (WBA 2020). The WBA, now at its seventh edition celebrates exceptional businesswomen who have benefitted from UNCTAD’s global entrepreneurship training programme, Empretec, and have become role models due to their outstanding achievements in running micro and small businesses.
Download the E-WBA 2020 brochure below to read more about the finalists.
The 2020 finalists (in alphabetical order, by country) are:
- Ms. Paula Itati de la Vega Sánchez (Argentina): Bioita « utensilios de caña », manufacturing of ecological products
- Ms. Agda Oliver (Brazil): Meu Mecânico, Mechanical services for vehicles
- Ms. Sandra Milena Sánchez Valenzuela (Colombia): Agencia Internacional SHARK, Digital business and marketing services
- Ms. Ana María Villavicencio Flores (Ecuador): Finca Agroturística Don Antonio, Agrotourism and gastronomy
- Ms. Kayan Motashaw (India): LivRite Foods, Manufacture of honey “Beelicious”
- Ms. Afnan Kamel Ali (Jordan): Eureka Tech Academy, Education for students under 18 years old on technology, innovation, programming, and engineering
- Ms. Sandra Anne Ghouse (Malaysia): 3E Training and Education Sdn Bhd – Soft skills and corporate training company
- Ms. Nicoleta Hriţcu (Romania): SC Retro Food SRL and SC Cuptorul Moldovencei SRL, Manufacturing and sale of bread, cakes, and fresh pastry
- Ms. Hadija Jabiri Pheri (Tanzania): GBRI Business Solutions Company Limited, Growing, packaging, and exporting vegetables and fruits
- Ms. Julia Nyamahunge Omalla (Uganda): Delight Uganda Ltd, Processing, packaging and distributing popular fruit drink “Cheers”
10 December 2020
Empretec WBA 2020
Virtual Award Ceremony
UNCTAD’S DIVISION ON INVESTMENT AND ENTERPRISE